A Message from the Superintendent
I am pleased to welcome you to the Windham Public Schools. We are a school district with high expectations for our students and schools. The people who work in our school system are talented and dedicated individuals. With the support of families and community members, we continuously strive to provide educational experiences of the highest quality for all of our students.
Our mission, vision, and goals are geared toward providing educational programs and services that will enable our students to achieve at high levels of success and to become productive, caring and responsible citizens.
Windham is a diverse community of 22,500 people. Willimantic, a 4.5 square mile urban center, lies within Windham county. The area has a rural charm, yet offers all the services of a city in Willimantic.
In general, Windham is characterized by:
- A dedication to quality education
- A conviction that there is strength in diversity
- A spirit of school/community cooperation
- Strong town and school board leadership
- An economic revitalization initiative in progress
- A rich treasure of victorian homes
- The convergence of several rivers which powered Windham’s mills in earlier times and now provide many recreational opportunities.
Windham is located in the center of eastern Connecticut, 28 miles east of Hartford, the state capital. It is the home to Eastern Connecticut State University and is 7 miles from the University of Connecticut.
Windham is within easy driving distance to the year-round resorts and casinos of northern New England. It is also within close proximity to the beaches of Connecticut and Rhode Island. Providence (47 miles), Boston (96 miles) and New York City (130 miles) are easily accessible to Windham residents.